God, I Will Never Do It Again — Why You Still Keep Failing - I
God, I will never repeat it again. God, this is the last time I’m doing it. God, I will not watch this anymore. God, I will not sin from today.
Are you familiar with these lines? I believe every sincere person or even a believer who desires a godly life has spoken such promises at least once. The urge to please God, to live holy, and to break free from sin is real. Yet, no matter how much we promise, try, and struggle, we often find ourselves back in the same place.
Why is that? If the desire is genuine, why does failure follow?
The answer is simple yet profound: we are trying to do by human effort what only God can accomplish through His Holy Spirit.
The Root Problem: Human Effort in the Work of Salvation
For decades, people have tried to live free from sin. Churches too, instead of pointing people to Christ’s finished work, often turn the focus toward human responsibility:
* Are you paying your tithes regularly?
* Are you giving up immoral habits?
* Are you generous enough?
* Are you striving to quit addictions?
While these things may sound good, they are still human - centered. They create a works-based religion. But the Bible says clearly: Without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6).
In other words, it is not your effort but your faith in Christ that pleases God.
Salvation is not God plus your good works. Salvation is Christ alone. The only thing you and I contribute to salvation is our sin. That’s it.
Romans 3:23 reminds us: All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. And Isaiah 59:16 reveals God’s response: He saw that there was no one, He was appalled that there was no one to intervene; so His own arm achieved salvation for Him.
God knew man could not save himself, so He Himself came down in flesh through Jesus Christ.
Adam Fell in the Flesh, Christ Redeemed in the Flesh
When Adam sinned, he surrendered authority to Satan. Since the fall happened in the flesh, redemption also had to be accomplished in the flesh. That’s why Jesus, the Son of God, came as a man. On the cross, He took back what Adam lost and defeated sin, death, and the devil.
This is why any human effort to “fix” sin only ends in failure. At best, it results in behavior modification, not true transformation. Transformation comes only through faith in Christ’s finished work.
Religion vs. Faith
Religion teaches: Do more, try harder, be better.
The Gospel declares: It is finished.
Religion says God is only pleased when you manage to live morally good.
The Bible says God is Love, unchanging, unearned, unconditional.
This is why so many people today even in Nagaland, where Christianity is culturally dominant, are frustrated and bound. Outwardly they attend church faithfully, but inwardly they wrestle with sin, addictions, and guilt. Why? Because they are trying to overcome sin by their own strength instead of surrendering to the grace of God.
John 15:5 is crystal clear: Apart from Me you can do nothing. This is not just about ministry; it is about salvation itself and transformation that follows. You cannot save yourself, forgive yourself, or free yourself from sin without Jesus.
The Role of the Holy Spirit
At salvation, the Holy Spirit draws us to Jesus. After salvation, He lives in us to empower transformation. Without Him, we cannot live a life pleasing to God.
Before salvation: The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin.
After salvation: He convicts us of our righteousness in Christ.
The Spirit doesn’t constantly point you to your failure; He points you to Jesus’ victory. Transformation happens not when you “try harder,” but when you surrender more to the Spirit.
Salvation Is Simple
The good news is this: salvation is not a long list of religious duties. It is simply faith in Jesus.
Romans 10:9-10 says:
If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
It is not what you promise to God, but what God has already promised and fulfilled through Christ.
Grace is already available. All you must do is receive it by faith.
Why Human Effort Always Fails
The more you rely on your own strength, the more frustrated you will be. Why? Because you are attempting to do the Holy Spirit’s work in the flesh. You can’t crucify your own sin nature, only Christ already has.
This is why so many sincere people say, “God, I will not do it again,” but then fail. They are depending on willpower, not on the Spirit’s power.
The True Path to Freedom
To live free from sin, addictions, and immorality, the starting point is always Jesus , not your effort. It begins by acknowledging:
* I cannot do this on my own.
* I am a sinner, but Christ has saved me.
* I surrender to the Holy Spirit to transform me.
This is not a one-time prayer of trying harder, but a lifestyle of faith and dependence.
Final Thoughts
Believer, stop bargaining with God: I will never do it again. Instead, humbly admit: God, I cannot do it. But You already did it for me at the cross. Holy Spirit, help me walk in that victory.
Your effort will always fail, but His grace will never fail. Your promises may break, but His covenant stands forever.
So the real question is not: What can I do to stop sinning?
The real question is: Am I trusting Jesus and surrendering to the Spirit daily?
That is the way to true transformation.
Comments
Post a Comment